Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What is Information Literacy?



Having read "Progress in developing information literacy in a secondary school using the PLUS model" (Herring and Tarter 2007) I would say my idea of information literacy hasn't really changed but it has expanded. I'm beginning to think that the reason so many people have difficulty defining information literacy is because it's not one tangible thing. I'm beginning to view it as a "continuum", because when you think about it, it starts out as one thing, goes through a gradual transition to a more complex thing. It is a "dangerously ambiguous concept" (Herring and Tarter 2007) because there are so many points on the continuum. In his theories of relativity, Einstein discussed the space-time continuum as a single entity that related space and time in a four-dimensional structure. I know I'm really of the chart here but why can't we think of information literacy as a single entity that relates information and literacy in a four-dimensional structure? Then it can be defined as a habit of mind and a set of skills and behaviours and an attitude, across all disciplines etc. I believe most of the current definitions of information literacy are correct and MAKE SENSE when viewed on the information literacy continuum.



Am I crazy or am I onto something here?

No comments:

Post a Comment