Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What was on your childhood bookshelf?

A recent post on Greg Zimmerman's BOOKRIOT blog focused on his childhood bookcase. This got me thinking about the books I loved and read when I was young. Like Zimmerman, I looked forward to getting the Scholastic Bookclub catalogues from the school library. My mother still has a large number of our childhood books (she never throws anything out!) and I really should have a better look at them next time I visit. A few of my favourites are pictured.

I also did a google image search for "vintage scholastic books" and enjoyed a marvellous trip down memory lane. Also, did anyone else born around the early 70s have read-aloud books that came with a record? We had a small portable record player like the one pictured below that I used to set up so I could read/listen to the story. I'm fairly sure many were Little Golden Books.






No comments:

Post a Comment