Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Another one bites the dust...

Well another assignment done and dusted!  Submitted at 12:30am, due at midnight - hopefully I won't lose marks for lateness.  This one was on website evaluation criteria and was to be written as a report with dot points, not an essay.  I found it so difficult!  Essays are a breeze for me because I know exactly what is expected, but this sort of thing was another story.  I have found the word counts in the last couple of assignments extremely difficult to adhere to.  If you are writing a policy or a critical analysis, for goodness sakes supervisors, give us a decent word count to work with.  I know I went well over in this one but as it was late at night and I had to work the next day,  well... you know how it goes. 

I must admit I learnt an awful lot through this assignment though.  I also got very frustrated with a lot of writers of website evaluation criteria. It seemed that none of them, even when supposedly catering for educators, put educational criteria first and some didnt even include anything remotely related to education!  Also, how can you write website evaluation criteria for teachers and not even mention students?  I had to wonder if the authors of the criteria had actually used their criteria for sites to be used in the classroom.  The majority of website evaluation criteria in use today (particularly by universities) was written in the late 90s or early 2000s.  There have certainly been some changes in the way we use the internet since then.  I believe this area is well overdue for an update and it shouldn't be long before we see more appropriate criteria appearing in our professional journals.  Educational institutions, as well, have been too complacent accepting outdated criteria as guidelines for students and staff. 

What do you think?  I would love to hear what others think on this issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment