Saturday, December 31, 2011

Key Issues in Budget Management facing TLs


In "Resourcing the Curriculum" Module 5, we were asked what we believe are the key issues in budget management facing TLs. Here are some of the thoughts that have come up from my reading:
  • Understand how the budget is funded
  • Create and submit a budget, even if it is not requested.
  • Assess your needs. Prioritise, brainstorm, make it happen!
  • Create a strong, out-come driven rationale
  • Include goals, be specific, use needs assessments.
  • Include others in the budgeting process - an advisory group (students/teachers/admin/parents)

After reading about budgeting I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Not so much at the thought of budgeting but as I find out more and more what is expected of a TL. Having worked for a couple of terms as an acting TL I thought I had a fairly realistic idea of what they did, but since starting uni, I have been regularly surprised at the extent of the TLs role. More than once I have thought "Is this what I really want to do? Am I going to be able to do all this?" I think it is just that feeling of being overwhelmed. I force myself to remember that in a new job, new position, it always takes time to find your feet and learn about the job, and that no one would expect you to know everything straight away. I am still a little nervous though!

No comments:

Post a Comment