Thursday, July 21, 2011

National, State and Territory Libraries



Prior to reading this Chapter I really hadn't given these libraries a second thought. I had images in my head of musty old buildings full of irrelevant information (for me at least). I've now, as intended, a much broader view and can see the importance of these libraries and where they fit into the grand scheme of things.
National, state and territory libraries have the major role of collecting and preserving Australia's documentary heritage. They have a legislated mandate to collect and preserve this comprehensive collection. I also didn't consider the fact that it is these libraries that provide leadership on key issues of importance, at a state and national level. All other libraries follow their direction.
NSLA (National and State Libraries Australia) represents libraries as a single voice and has key priorities to ensure all Australians have world class access to information.

No comments:

Post a Comment