Saturday, July 23, 2011

Role of the TL Part 2


So what else does a TL do? From a term and a half in the school library (and before starting to read about it) I would have added:
  • ordering fiction/non-fiction books according to interest and need
  • book repair
  • crowd control (at recess/lunchtime)
  • checking books in/out
  • gathering resources on certain topics for teachers
  • Year 7/8 information skills lessons
  • managing Bookclub
  • working with the library assistant (who came in one day/week and was a wealth of knowledge)
  • setting up the laptop/projector for teachers/classes
  • working with teachers to create units of work
  • finding online resources for teachers/students
  • managing the library budget

So I think I had a reasonably realistic view of what a TL did. Since beginning this subject however, I have already discovered that the above is only the tip of the iceburg. There is so much more to it that this. I see already that so much more can be done with the school library. There is only one problem. I am no longer working there (back to casual teaching!)

Just to get it off my chest, I was knocked back when I applied for the position because I did not "qualify" for retraining because I was only "three year trained". And high school experience does not count unless you are teaching in one faculty for an entire year. So I am retraining on my own, completing single subjects until I have enough for a degree as I am also enrolled in the Grad. Dip of Mathematics course. I love both library and maths and still cannot choose between the two, so I decided to do both. If possible, I intend on doing another two TL subjects over the Christmas hols, so we shall see how I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment