Friday, July 22, 2011

What does a TL do? PART 1


Well it depends who you ask, doesn't it. Ever watched "The Librarians"? on ABC TV?



I loved it but it doesn't really do much for the public's perception of a librarian.

Have you seen this before?
I'd love to get one, if only to prompt discussion into people's perceptions of librarians.
When I got a term's work as a TL at our local highschool, a lot of people (other teacher's included) told me how lucky I was to land such a cushy job. I only had nine lessons a fortnight.

I wasn't given an awful lot of guidance from the previous TL, so I pretty much made it up as I went along, backed up by 17 years teaching experience and google.
The school library layout had hardly changed in the previous ten years, so that was the first thing I did. I googled and looked at library design and read about that the library should be welcoming and the centre of the school and have lots of different spaces to cater for different people and so on. I made and laminated signs showing what resources were where. A projector had recently been installed so things had to be arranged around that as well. I only wish I had taken before photos.

View slideshow

So I suppose looking at this, a TL is an interior designer of sorts. I mean, you have to create a welcoming environment, don't you.

No comments:

Post a Comment